2/17th Cavalry History, C Troop Guidon, & Vietnam Camps/Firebases

The 17th Cavalry Regiment was organized under the provisions of the National Defense Act of 1916 at Ft Bliss, Texas on June 30,1916 and constituted on 1 July 1916. General Pershing had taken his columns into Mexico only a short time before and the need of cavalry troops was pressing. Thirty-two officers and seven hundred ninety-one veterans from the lst, 3rd, 6th, 8th and 14th Regiments were transferred as the nucleus of the new regiment. Many of these were recalled from the Punitive Expedition and since all were experienced troopers, little time was spent in whipping the organization into shape. The Regimental Commander, Colonel Williard A. Holbrook, assumed command on 9 July 1916, on which date the men from the 8th Cavalry joined the regiment. Colonel Holbrook held command until he was promoted to the rank of Major General. Colonel Holbrook went on to become the Chief of Cavalry for the United States Army.

The 8th Cavalry Regiment was in garrison at Ft. Bliss, Texas at the time of the formation of the new regiment. The men from the 14th Cavalry arrived on July 10th. The two contingents were combined and on July 13, 1916, the regiment, with 13 officers and 512 enlisted men present, established the 17th Cavalry Camp, on the Ft. Bliss Military Reservation just south of the post proper and east of the G.H. & S.A. pumping plant. The several troops (15) were organized and the regiment entered upon its duties as such. Men from the 6th Cavalry arrived on July 12th and those from the lst Cavalry arrived between the 14th, 15th and 17th of July. Remounts were received as follows: July 24th - 120; July 25th - 490; July 26th - 369. Mules were received as follows: July 17th - 28 (Supply Troop); July 24th - 24 (Machine Gun Troop); July 25th - 68 (Supply Troop); and one on July 26th (Supply Troop). During the remainder of the summer of 1916 the regiment completed its organization, the time being devoted to the training of remounts, adjustment of administrative matters, completion of equipment and a multitude of details connected with the organization of a mounted command.

Total troopers transferred:
• 130 from the 1st Cavalry
• 62 from the 3rd Cavalry
• 133 from the 6th Cavalry
• 407 from the 8th Cavalry
• 121 from the 14th Cavalry

In honor of the cavalry regiments that contributed officers, men and experience to the formation of the 17th Cavalry Regiment, the regimental shield shares much from the coats of arm of those units. Orange is from the lst Cavalry and was the official color that has historically represented dragoons. The color green was taken from the 3d Cavalry. Their uniforms contained green facings in honor of the 3d Cavalry's first engagement at Vera Cruz, and its contribution throughout the campaign of 1847 to the capture of Mexico City. Upon entering the city, it hoisted the Stars and Stripes over the national palace and displayed the regimental standard from the palace balcony, which drew from General Scott the statement, "Brave Rifles! Veterans! You have been baptized in fire and blood and have come out steel." The 3d Cavalry's shield contains a green tower representing the fortified Mexico City. The Regiment chose the unicorn from the 6th Cavalry Regiment, which represents the knightly virtues and, in the rampant position, a symbol of fighting aggressiveness, combined with speed and activity. The demihorse, in honor of cavalry mounts, was taken from the shield of the 8th Cavalry Regiment. The diagonal line, being the traditional military symbol of cavalry, came from the 14th Cavalry.

The first mounted formation of the regiment was held on August 4th, 1916 and consisted of all fifteen troops and the wagons of the supply Troop. Horse training, together with instructions in the new cavalry drill, were continued during the month of August. On August 31st, 1916, a mounted review, inspection and muster were held. The regiment as nearly equipped for the field as the equipment on hand would allow, passed in review at a walk, trot, and gallup for the first time! The months of September and October were spent in horse training, together with regular routine of drills, inspections and camp duties.

In the fall of 1916, the 17th Cavalry was ready to take the field. The regiment took part in a practice march of a provisional War Strength Cavalry Regiment from 15 November to 22 November, 1916. The 17th Cavalry Regiment was supplemented by a sufficient number of officers and enlisted men from the 8th Cavalry and officers of the Militia to make up the necessary complement. The spirit of the regiment was given its first test. The march was primarily attempted to test the various assignments of wagon transportation. It was not determined at the time how many vehicles were necessary for the use of each organization.

The condition of the Regiment at midnight, December 31, 1916, was:
• Present: 18 officers and 985 enlisted men.
• Absent: 17 officers and 64 enlisted men.
• Present 6 officers and 14 enlisted men.
• Absent 5 officers and 4 enlisted men.
• Animals: 989 public horses and 147 mules.

On January 28, 1917, orders were received instructing the regiment to proceed to Brownsville, Texas for station. Camp was broken, regimental freight and baggage loaded and the troops were made ready for the march to the train, when at 1700 HRS on February 4, 1917, orders were received which countermanded former instructions and the regiment was returned to its tents amid the Ft Bliss sand and dust. During this month General Pershing came out of Mexico and-his troops were stationed temporarily at Ft Bliss. This reservation was also the center of a large number of National Guard units and parades and reviews in the city of El Paso were frequent. The 17th Cavalry participated in many of these with the 5th, 7th, 8th, llth and 13th Cavalry Regiments.

On May.14, 1917, new orders were received for a change of station and this time they proved definite. Past disturbances along the border in the vicinity of Douglas made necessary, the immediate establishment of other outposts in the vicinity of Douglas. Trains left El Paso on the 17th of May and arrived at Douglas, Arizona, the destination of the regiment, in the mid-afternoon of the 18th. Troops B, C, D, E, F, I, K, HQ, Mg, and Supply went into camp at "Camp Harry J. Jones, Douglas Arizona. Troops G and H proceeded by rail and went into camp next to the town of Naco, Arizona which is on the border about 30 miles west of Douglas. Troop A was marched to the big Cand A (C & A) Copper Smelter, west of town. Troop L proceeded by marching to Forrest Station, Arizona and Troop M left for station at Slaughter's Ranch, about 13 miles east.

The cavalry organization of seventeen regiments, in effect when the United States entered the war against Germany, was based upon the National Defense Act of 1916. In May 1917, emergency laws called for an immediate increase to full strength authorized by the National Defense Act, and organization of the remaining eight new cavalry regiments began at once.

To speed up the process, certain units in June 1917, transferred two-thirds of their men to the new regiments. These new regiments were numbered the 18th through the 25th. War preparations began in earnest in the 17th Cavalry. During April and May recruits began to flock to the colors, and a total of 278 joined the regiment. During the call for personnel to fill the new regiments, the 17th Cavalry was only required to provide 32 men, all of whom were ultimately given commissions.

Early in July 1917, trouble in the copper mining districts of Arizona became quite serious. Union (IWW) agitators and radicals became unmanageable and regular troops were called for. On July 5th a provisional squadron, under the command of Lieutenant Colonel White, consisting of Troops E, F, I and K, and the Machine Gun Troop with a detachment of the Supply Troop, marched to Globe, Arizona, for strike duty. Troop L was dispatched to Forest Station, a few miles west of Douglas, where an outpost was established. A second call for assistance by the civil authorities was received later in the month, when forest fires in Mormon Canyon (Turkey Creek) had gotten beyond control of the forest rangers, and a detail of fifty men under 2nd Lieutenant Arthur S. Harrington, was sent to their assistance.

17th Cavalry troopers were certainly interested in European developments, however with the advent of highly mobile armor forces on the battlefield coupled with the growing unrest in the west, the regiment settled on performing its mission stateside.

After a year's service with the regiment, during which time he saw it grow from modest beginnings to a first class fighting unit, Colonel Holbrook relinquished his command on August 17, 1917. Lieutenant Colonel James J. Hornbrook assumed command of the 17th Cavalry Regiment on August 18th, 1917. Colonel Holbrook was immediately promoted to Brigadier General, Infantry, USA and left Douglas, Arizona on August 19th, 1917.

During the months of August and September, Troop C was relieved from its Smelter guard by Troop A, and proceeded to Slaughter's Ranch, relieving Troop M, Troop L was recalled from its post at Forest Station. Troop H was ordered in from Naco. Troops E and F left Globe and took station in Miami, Arizona. Late in September, Troops L and M were selected for a practice march to Deming,, New Mexico, for the purpose of testing the relative merits of different kinds of cavalry equipment: the McClellan saddle and various turn of the century military innovations. They were gone from September 21 to October 5, averaging 25 miles a day during that time. Animals and men were in excellent condition when they pulled into Douglas, although the new equipment found little favor with the troopers who had used it.

Late in Nov , Troop H was again ordered to Naco. Troop L relieved Troop K at Globe, both organizations marching the entire distance. On the 4th day of December, 1917, the 17th Cavalry was finally tasked to provide personnel fillers for units preparing for combat. 163 trained men of the regiment left for assignment to the 5th Regular Army Division, which later had a distinguished record in France. But by the end of 1917, the regiment had again attained full strength and was in splendid condition.

In October 1917, Lieutenant Colonel Hornbrook was appointed Colonel Cavalry and detailed on duty at Office of the Department Inspector with station at Fort Sam Houston, Texas and relinquished his command in October, 1917. Captain Olan C. Aleshire, appointed Major Signal Corps and commanding the regiment during the month of November, 1917. Colonel E. S. Wright was attached to and assumed command of the 17th Cavalry Regiment on 23 December, 1917. On December 31st, 1917, the strength of the regiment was: 34 Officers and 652 Enlisted men.

In March 1918, the regiment was brigaded with the lst and 15th Regiments in the 3rd Brigade of the newly formed 15th Cavalry Division. The division had three brigades of three regiments each; it was made up of nine of the crack cavalry regiments of the Army. This was the only cavalry division in the Army at the time and was formed for overseas service. No explanation for designating it the 15th has been found. The 15th Cavalry Division packed up and left, the 3rd Brigade was under orders and the 17th lived in daily anticipation of the welcome permission to entrain. The next eight months went by, the armistice was signed, and the troops had nothing to do, but bear it philosophically. Like the divisions organized during previous emergencies, the life of the 15th was short. Actually, a full division organization was not completed, and it was discontinued in May 1918.

Since the first of the year (1918), the regiment was commanded successively by Colonels E.S. Wright; Alfred E. Kennington and George H. Morgan. Colonel John D.L. Hartman assumed command on June 23, 1919, retaining command until his promotion to Brigadier General in October.

The principal noteworthy events of the year cam in August. A Mexican attack at Nogales, Arizona, on troops of the 35th Infantry and a portion of the 10th Cavalry, necessitated the sending of the entire forces of the 10th Cavalry from Ft Huachuca, Arizona, to their assistance. The First Squadron of the 17th Cavalry was ordered to make a forced march to Ft Huachuca to relieve the 10th Cavalry. Orders were received at 1100 HRS, August 28 and at 0200 HRS on the 29th, the march began. The trip of 76 miles was covered without the loss of a horse or man in 16 hours. The remainder of the regiment was ready to go at a moments notice, but the action died down and the squadron immediately returned to Douglas on September 3rd.

Colonel Morgan again assumed command of the regiment in October and retained command until his retirement, shortly before the Armistice was signed. The efficiency of the troops can be realized from the statement of Colonel Morgan, when he last reviewed the regiment. He announced that he had never seen a finer cavalry organization in all his long and distinguished service as a cavalry officer.

During the first three months of 1919, the splendid organization was rapidly depleted. After orders for station in Hawaii were received, all the men who had enlisted for World War One were transferred to other cavalry regiments, and destined for an early discharge. Their places were partially filled with long-term men and reservists from other regiments. When the Regiment left Douglas, early in April, approximately 900 men went with it. Fully half of these came from nearly every other cavalry regiment in the Army. A number were transferred to the 17th Cavalry from the infantry.

Colonel Hartman, upon being returned to his regular rank from Brigadier General was reassigned to command the regiment in March 1919, and had the task of reorganization and bringing the regiment to its new station. On April 5, 1919, the 17th Cavalry sailed from San Francisco, crossing on the U.S.A.T. Sherman to Honolulu, where the regiment arrived on April 13th, and immediately proceeded to Schofield Barracks.

The demobilization of the National Guard of Hawaii followed the end of World War I. As a result the 17th Cavalry was the only mobile line organization in the Hawaiian Department. The regiment, strengthened by various recruit contingents which joined during the summer of 1919, furnished the garrison at Ft Shafter and Schofield Barracks, until the fall of 1920, when the arrival of additional troops relieved the cavalry of some of their duties. The arduous task of building up a trained organization from personnel composed almost entirely of recruits and at the same time furnishing the necessary details for the routine duties of one of the largest posts in the Army, was compensated for by the excellent barracks, fine stables, turf drill grounds, and the frequent local festivities, horse shows, and athletic event in which members of the regiment participated.

The covering of approximately one hundred miles of rugged coast line with one regiment of cavalry, so organized as to repel effectively any attempted landing of troops from transports pending arrival of reinforcements, was one of the many problems faced by officers of the regiment during many maneuvers on the island of Oahu. With the exception of the sector in and around the city of Honolulu and Pearl Harbor, the entire coast line of the island was left to the 17th Cavalry Regiment. Good solid cavalry doctrine during training resulted in implementation of the latest technical systems of liaison and intelligence and routine features of cavalry maneuvers were little changed. Command posts were placed, at advantageous points, and sectors of defense were organized, so that a complete liaison existed over the entire hundred miles from post to post. An intricate system of shielded lights and telephone lines provided means for command and control as well as reporting. Camps were placed in locations that provided excellent cover and concealment from the air or sea. The question of supply and rapid deployment of troops was solved by efficient utilization of the good system of roads on the island as well as easy availability of motor transportation. Reliance on motor vehicles were paramount since there was a shortage of horses. Though there were obvious advantages to motorized transportation, the regiment’s ability was limited over rough terrain.

The regiment tested a new feature of the cavalry organization: the infantry machine-gun cart. The Machine Gun Troop was issued 17 of these carts. Under extensive training the carts were found to be unsatisfactory. Especially since they bounced about in every direction while being transported, resulting in damage to the weapons system as well as loss of ammunition. Off of the roads they were almost helpless. Narrow trails and rough terrain practically reduced movement to that of a snail's pace.

In the Departmental Small Arms Competitions the regiment made a good showing, both in 1919 and 1920. The regimental rifle team, won second place both years. The pistol team took first place in 1920 and the Machine Gun Troop finished second in its event. Many officers and enlisted men of the regiment won individual prizes at the Individual Competition.

Major General Holbrook, the present Chief of Cavalry, while commanding the regiment upon its organization in 1916, presented a cup for annual regimental competition among the officers of the 17th Cavalry that became an annual event and was aggressively challenged. The test consisted of a ten-mile cross-country ride containing two series of four jumps each, followed by two series of five jumps each and a fifteen-foot water jump. The competition continued while stationed in Hawaii. Winners names were engraved upon the cup, and though remaining the property of the regiment, it cannot be found today.

On January 1, 1921, Colonel J.D.L. Hartman, Regimental Commander, had little indication that this would be the last year of the regiment’s active service. The regiment was attached to the Hawaiian Division on March 1, 1921. During the month of May the three squadrons continued with business as usual. They each conducted numerous training exercises throughout the islands and participated in the Memorial Day parade at Honolulu.

Colonel Hartman left for the General Staff College, Washington, D.C. on July 5th. Command was passed to Colonel Joseph E. Cusack who only commanded through July 18, when he was detailed on duty as the Special Post Property Auditor, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. Colonel George F. Hamilton, Cavalry assumed command through September 1, on which date Colonel Cusack returned to duty with the regiment and again assumed command.

While the eight new cavalry regiments that were added in 1917 had been redesignated as artillery, reorganization in 1921 resulted in the number of cavalry regiments being pared from seventeen to fourteen, by inactivation of the 15th, 16th and 17th. Lack of funds, reduced personnel authorization, and serious doubts that "the mounted combat of large bodies of cavalry is probably a thing of the past." The new regimental organization was designed to reduce overhead, increase firepower, and retain mobility. It provided for easy expansion to war strength and retained for cavalry regiments, if required to take the field at peacetime strength, the capability of delivering powerful and flexible firepower. Many famous old cavalry units were dangerously near being lost to the Army because of these organizational changes. But the policy of retaining surplus units on the rolls of the Army in an inactive status was established, permitting units to be preserved for future use rather than being disbanded or redesignated.

The 17th Cavalry planned to join the AEF in France. However, the Armistice was signed before the Brigade could be deployed and unfortunately the unit was inactivated September 26, 1921 at Presidio of Monterey, California. General Orders Number 32 and 33, War Department, 1921, placed the 17th Cavalry on the inactive list of the Army with the llth Cavalry designated as the parent organization. Ordered to Monterey by General Orders Number 35, Headquarters Hawaiian Department, 1921, and General Orders Number 17, Headquarters Ninth Corps Area, 1921. The regiment left Schofield Barracks by truck for Honolulu on September 16 and embarked on the U.S.A.T. Buford the same day. September 25th marked the arrival of the regiment at Monterey. The officers and enlisted men were transferred to the llth Cavalry on September 26th, and the regiment was placed on the inactive list.

In 1943, the Regiment became part of Headquarters, 17th Armored Group at Fort Knox, Kentucky. The 17th Armored Group landed in France on 5 August 1944, and fought its way through Northern France, the Ardennes, and the Rhineland into central Europe. Following VE Day, the 17th Armored Group moved to Ghent, Belgium, where it was inactivated on 30 April 1946. The unit disbanded on 9 March 1951, but was reconstituted on 25 April 1957 in the Regular Army and consolidated with the 101st Airborne Reconnaissance Troop (active). The consolidated unit was designated as Troop B, 17th Cavalry, an element of the 101st Airborne Division.

Another ancestor of the Squadron, the 57th Cavalry Recon (Mech) Troop was activated at Fort McIntosh, Texas, on 12 May 1944. This Troop spent most of its life on the inactive rolls of the Army and underwent its final inactivation at Fort Knox, Kentucky, on 2 June 1948. On 10 August 1950, it was redesignated as the 101st Airborne Reconnaissance Company and was activated two weeks later at Camp Breckenridge, Kentucky. On 25 April 1957, the unit was redesignated Troop B (Reconnaissance) (Airborne), 17th Cavalry, and continued as such until 1964. On 3 February 1964, the unit was consolidated with elements of the command and control battalion of the 101st Airborne to form the 2nd Squadron, 17th Cavalry.

In July 1965, A Troop, along with supporting personnel from Headquarters Troop, departed Fort Campbell as part of the 1st Brigade Task Force, 101st Airborne Division, for the Republic of Vietnam. In December 1967, the remainder of the Squadron deployed to Vietnam, and operated for four years in South Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos. During its service in the Republic of Vietnam, the Squadron had three members receive the nation's highest award, the Congressional Medal of Honor: SP4 Michael Fitzmaurice, SP4 Joseph G. Lapointe, and SGT Robert Patterson.

In January 1972, the Squadron redeployed with the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) to Fort Campbell, Kentucky.

From August to September 1990 the Squadron deployed for Operation Desert Shield serving as a deterrent force until initiation of Operation Desert Storm on 17 January 1991. On 25 February 1991, after three days of reconnaissance missions across the Iraqi border, the Squadron screened the Division's front on its historic air assault deep into Iraqi territory. The Squadron served as one of the northern most deployed elements of the United States Army.

In February 2003, the Squadron deployed in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The Squadron led the Division's aviation forces across the border securing the Division's initial objectives. Soon thereafter, the Squadron became the Aviation force of choice for the Division Commander for the urban fight during the seizures of An Najaf, Karbala, Al Hillah, Southern Baghdad, Mosul, and terrorist training camps in central Iraq. It was in Mosul, Iraq that the Squadron spent the remainder of it deployment providing reconnaissance and security to Division elements in the city.

In September 2005, the Squadron once again deployed to the Middle East in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. The Squadron provided reconnaissance, security, and close combat attacks from FOB McKenzie to elements of TF Liberty for the Iraqi National Referendum. In November 2005, the Squadron moved to FOB Warrior, Kirkuk, Iraq and assumed operational control of a platoon of UH-60s in support of 1st BCT, Task Force Band of Brothers. The Squadron also supported TF Freedom in Mosul, Iraq, as well as 159th Combat Aviation Brigade with one Air Cavalry Troop at LSA Anaconda as part of an AH-64 Bn Task Force. In March 2006, the Squadron assumed operational control of C/1-327th Infantry “Cold Steel” and was assigned AO Saber within the 1st BCT Battle Space in support of combat operations for TF Bastogne.

The Squadron redeployed to Ft. Campbell in August 2006 for refit and retraining and in 2007 was deployed as part of Combined Joint Task Force 101, the new lead element for US forces deployed on Operation Enduring Freedom - Afghanistan and the International Security Assistance Force. 2-17 Cavalry became the lead element for Task Force Out Front deployed in Regional Command East.

2nd Squadron – Vietnam Awards
• Valorous Unit Award for THUA THIEN-QUANG TRI
• Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army) for SOUTHWEST ASIA
• Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm for VIETNAM 1968
• Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm for VIETNAM 1968-1969
• Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm for VIETNAM 1969-1971
• Republic of Vietnam Cross of Gallantry with Palm for VIETNAM 1971
• Republic of Vietnam Civil Action Honor Medal, First Class for VIETNAM 1968-1970

2nd Squadron – Other Awards
• World War II: Northern France; Rhineland; Ardennes-Alsace; Central Europe
• Vietnam: Counteroffensive; Tet Counteroffensive; Counteroffensive, Phase IV; Counteroffensive, Phase V; Counteroffensive, Phase VI; Tet 69/Counteroffensive; Summer-Fall 1969; Winter-Spring 1970; Sanctuary Counteroffensive; Counteroffensive, Phase VII; Consolidation I; Consolidation II
• Southwest Asia: Defense of Saudi Arabia; Liberation and Defense of Kuwait

History of the C Troop Guidon - written by Bill Zierdt

Condor is the name and call sign assumed by Troop C, 2nd Squadron, 17th Cavalry upon joining the 101st Airborne Division In March, 1969. The arrival of the three Air Cav Troops completed the transition of the 101st to being an Airmobile Division. This transition from airborne to airmobile was completed in Viet Nam whilst maintaining normal combat operations. Most of the transition involved realigning units, equipment and personnel within the division and among other units already in Viet Nam. The Aerial Rocket Artillery Batteries and Air Cavalry Troops were formed and trained in the United States and joined the division in combat. Troop A from Fort Campbell and Troop B from Fort Hood were based with the Squadron and Division at Camp Eagle. Troop C, also from Fort Hood, was based at LZ Sally about fifteen miles North. The troops learned their specific letter designation upon arrival and chose their own call signs based upon their letter designation: Assault, Banshee and Condor.

Two days after arrival in Vietnam, the Division held a “Presentation Ceremony” at Camp Eagle accepting the Troops into the Division. Troops A and B attended en masse. The Condors sent a representative complement. The commander, Major Bill Zierdt, realized that the Condors lacked a guidon for this ceremony and directed the First Sergeant and Gun Platoon Leader to “get us a guidon,” handing them a handful of dong left over from a previous trip to Viet Nam. They took a jeep and driver to Hue where the jeep and driver were left at the entrance to the Citadel, alone, while they set out to find a tailor shop. With neither French nor Viet Namese in their vocabularies, they wandered the alleys until they found what looked like a tailor shop. Using sign language and speaking loudly, they conveyed their needs, choose the fabric and laid out a flag. This guidon stood outside the orderly room at LZ Sally and, later, Phu Bai. The spots on it are likely from LZ Sally mud.

When a subsequent commander, Major Jim Newman, left the unit after Lam Son 719, he took the guidon with him as it had been replaced with an official, issue guidon. Following Jim’s death, his family kindly passed on the original guidon to the Condors Alumni Association.

On behalf of the Condors Alumni Association, Bill Zierdt, the original Condor, presented it to Troop C, 27 March 2014, the forty-sixth anniversary of their last day at Fort Hood, in memory of all Condors fallen in combat in foreign lands.


For reference purposes the book Where We Were by Michael P. Kelly, Hellgate Press, 2002, provided much of the information. Mr. Kelly served with D Co 1/502nd Infantry, 101st Airborne Division 1969-1970.

I Corp or Military Region 1 and Thua Thien Province was where the majority of the division spent the latter part of 1967 to early 1972. I Corp consisted of Quang Tri Province, as it’s most northern area of responsibility then Thua Thien, Quang Nam, Quang Tin, and finally Quang Ngai Province.

Base Camps

Camp Eagle: 7 km SSE of Hue along Rte 546, approximately 9 km W of Phu Bai and 3 km W QL-1 (National Route 1).

Phu Bai: Approximately 16 km S of Hue along QL-1. Dong Ha was 76 km N. Da Nang was 62 km S.

Camp Evans: Approximately 11 km WNW of LZ Sally, 24 km NW of Hue, nearly directly along QL-1.

LZ Sally: 12 km NW of Hue, 11 km ESE of Camp Evans and 1 km W of QL-1.

Rest and Recreation

Eagle Beach: Divisional rest area along the South China Sea approximately 10 km NE of Hue.

Fire Support Bases

Bradley: 44 Kilometers WSW Of Hue

Goodman: 42 km WSW of Hue and 5 km NW of FSB Airborne

Pepper: 45 km WSW Quang Tri along the NW edge of the A Shau Valley approximately 3 km ENE of Dong Ap Bia.

Airborne: 42 km WSW Hue, 5 km SE FSB Goodman, 3 km NW FSB Pepper.

Eagles Nest: On eastern edge of A Shau Valley northward approximately 35 km WSW of Hue.

Georgia: 36 km WSW of Hue on Northeast edge of A Shau Valley, 1 km North of FSB Bertchesgaden.

Berchtesgaden: East of Route 548, 34 km WSW of Hue, and 26km WSW of FSB Birmingham.

Cannon: East of Rte 547, 33 km SW of Hue and 10 km East of FSB Eagles Nest.

Blaze: 5 km SW of FSB Veghel, 20 km SW of FSB Birmingham.

Veghel: WSW of FSB Bastogne, 27 km SW of Hue, at the intersection Route 547 and 547A.

Fury: 42 km SW of Hue at the southern end of the A Shau Valley.

Whip: 39 km SSW Hue, 10 km SSE of FSB Tennessee.

Tennessee: 18 km SW FSB Birmingham and 27 km SW of Hue.

Thor: 14 km ESE FSB Fury, on the SW edge of the A Shau Valley and 38 km SSW of Hue.

Meredith: 13 km SSW Camp Evans and 26 km W of Hue.

Rakkasan: 14 km SW Camp Evans and ESE of FSB Gladiator.

Bastogne: Along Rte 547 17km SW Hue and 8 km W of FSB Birmingham. Considered more of a Forward Operating Base. Note: Rte 547 was constructed by the 326th Engineers to go from Hue to the A Shau Valley.

Jack: 10 km SW of Camp Evans.

O’Reilley: 26 km S of Quang Tri, 41 km W of Hue.

Barbara: 28 km W Camp Evans and 50 km WNW of Hue.

Gladiator: 8 km ENE FSB Ripcord, 15 km NW of FSB Rakkasan.

Granite: 15 km W Camp Evans and 10 km N of FSB Maureen.

Maureen: 10 km W of FSB Kathryn and 15 km ENE of FSB Bradley.

Kathryn: 23 km W FSB Birmingham, S of FSB Rakkasan and NW of FSB Strike.

Shock: 3 km NE of FSB Cannon, 5 km NW of FSB Veghel.

Strike: 17 km WSW of Hue Citadel and 11 km SW of LZ Sally along the Song Bo River.

Zon: 8 km WSW of FSB Veghel and 5 km E of FSB Berchtesgaden.

Birmingham: Along a branch of the Perfume River 12 km SSW of Hue along Rte 547 and 11 km W of FSB Arsenal. Named for PSG Edward A. Birmingham C Co 1/327th Airborne Infantry, KIA 2 OCT 1967 who drowned trying to rescue a man under fire.

Normandy: 24 km W Phu Bai, 12 km W FSB Brick and 8 km SSE of FSB Checkmate.

Checkmate: More of a observation post along Rte 547, 1.5km SSE of FSB Bastogne and 15 km SW of Hue.

Spear: 31 km SW of Phu Bai and 19 km ESE FSB Tennessee.

Sledge: 45 km SSW of Hue and 16 km SSW of FSB Brick.

Rifle: 17 km SE of FSB Birmingham and 16 km WSW of Phu Bai along Rte 545.

Pistol: 23 km S of Phu Bai and 24 km SSE of FSB Arsenal.

Tomahawk: Along QL-1 near north end of Hai Van Pass and 40 km S of Hue along South China Sea.

Roy: 8 km WNW FSB Tomahawk.

Brick: 24 km S of Hue, and 7 km E FSB Blitz. Named for the Mayor of Clarksville, TN. Meyer Brick.

Ripcord: 38 km W of Hue, 12 km NE of North end of the A Shau Valley, 12 km NW of FSB Maureen and 5 km WNW of FSB Granite.

Arsenal: 8 km SW of Phu Bai and 9 km SE of Pohl Bridge.

Destiny: Dong Ap Bia Mountain or Hill 937, NW end of A Shau Valley, 45 km WSW of Hue and 3 km E of Laos.

Falcon: 21 km S of Hue, 14 km SE of FSB Birmingham.

Pohl Bridge: Named for Col Richard Pohl KIA 24 June 68 HHB Division Artillery. Also known as Nam Hoa Bridge along Rte 547 across the Perfume River (Song Huong), 6.5 km ENE of FSB Birmingham and 8.5 km NW FSB Arsenal.

Rendezvous: Located at the intersection of Route 547 and 548 in the A Shau Valley, approximately 37 km SW of Hue.

Lyon: 10 Km E of Hue and 5 km S of LZ Sally.

T Bone: 6.5 km S of LZ Sally, 1.5 km from Hwy 548 and 6 km W of Hue.

Satan II: 15 km S of Hue, 7 km SE FSB Birmingham and 6 km W of FSB Arsenal.

Bullet: 6 km S FSB Rakkasan and 25 km WSW of Hue.

Currahee: Built on the floor of the A Shau Valley approximately 43 km from Hue and 35km WSW of FSB Birmingham.

Stella: 15 km WSW of LZ Sally and 25 km WNW of Hue.

Helen: 12 SW of Camp Evans and 8 km E of FSB Granite.

Arrow: 9 km WSW Phu Bai and 3.5 km NNW of FSB Arsenal.

Los Banos: 34 km NNW of Da Nang, 5 km N QL-1 and 37 km ESE of Phu Bai.

Blitz: 23 km SW of Phu Bai, 9 km WSW FSB Brick and 6 NE of FSB Spear.

An Lo Bridge: Bridge across the Song Bo River along QL-1 approximately 15 km NW of Hue and 3 km NNW of LZ Sally.

Fuller: YD 019593 W of Dong Ha

Foxy: fixed wing landing strip on the A-shau valley floor, next to Hill 937

Major City

Hue was 658 km from Hanoi and 1,080 km from Saigon.

Major Highway QL-1: Principal highway running the length of the coast of South Vietnam from Hanoi to Saigon and then west into Phnom Penh, Cambodia. Major portions of it were asphalt

1st Brigade (Separate) and 3/506th Infantry served in Military Region II and III for the most part. Base Camps were at Phan Rang, Tuy Hoa , Phuoc Vinh and Phan Thiet.


ctrp. was formed in ft. hood texas, and deployed to vietnam in march. 69

jvaskojr's picture

All of you guys were the greatest! Thanks to all. Had the privilage of running into C Trp while in Afghanistan as "Contractor"! The troop was doing an outstanding job as it has always done!